family            family            family            family

It Was One of Those Days!

February 21, 2011

The other day I was doing a quick grocery shop before I had to pick my children up from school...and it was one of those days. I rushed around picking up the needed groceries...milk, apples, and feminine products. Remember, I said it was one of those days!
I entered the checkout stand and waited my turn.  Usually, I take this time to catch up on important reading...
photo source
But today something else caught my eye...I found myself staring right at a Wunderbar!  (For those of you in the United States and beyond, a Wunderbar is a chocolate bar in Canada that makes me salivate just thinking about it!)
photo source
This was a complete impulse buy...as I am usually quite controlled when checking out.  Just ask my children how many times I buy candy while we are in the checkout lane!  NEVER!  However today was one of those days, and I was not in control.  I immediately had a conversation in my mind between the person who would like to lose 10 pounds by this summer, and the bloated person who had cramps, a pimple on her chin, and what some would call irritability!  
I would like to share the dialogue I had running through my mind.  (Healthy-me will be written in red, while PMS-me will be written in blue.) 

"Oh, a Wunderbar...that sounds really good right now"

"Do you know how many calories are in a Wunderbar?"

"When was the last time you had a Wunderbar...you have earned one!"

"Swimsuit season is coming, and you still have 10 pounds to lose"

"There is still two feet of snow on the ground...you have plenty of time to lose the weight!"

"It is not worth it, it is just the PMS talking...Oh look at that, George Clooney's girlfriend has cellulite!"

"Don't distract her with tabloids...TAKE THE WUNDERBAR!!

I am not a person who deals well with conflict, so I grabbed the Wunderbar (against my will) and threw it on the belt.  Besides, it was one of those days!
I stood there, still listening to a distant voice in my mind talking about calories, disappointment, guilt, blah, blah blah...I tuned her out as I paid for my groceries and started skipping walking out of the store.  I was about half way to my car when I looked at the five full bags of groceries and realized I didn't know what bag my Wunderbar was in!  
photo source
"WHERE THE HECK IS MY WUNDERBAR!" was all I could scream at the top of my lungs!!

OK, I didn't really scream this out loud, but I sure wanted too!  How could that cashier be so clueless?  Do they not learn in cash-register school that a woman purchasing a chocolate bar while waiting in line to check out...is doing so under pure duress?  Do they not know that they should ask the woman (discreetly, as not to draw attention) if she would like the chocolate so she can place it in her purse?  This should be a universal rule...OFFER THE CHOCOLATE!
photo source

I was a little late picking up my daughter, as it took a little bit of time to completely empty three grocery bags and reload them.  But in the end, as I sat in my car and inhaled ate my Wunderbar...I knew I had made the correct choice, because it was just one of those days!

Question...Do you have a special "something" for one of those days?


15 comments:

April Westerhold said...

Butterfingers and carbs (french fries, chips/salsa, pasta--you name it) I always feel guilty afterwards, though. I had one of THOSE days yesterday and we went out for Mexican. I think I ate my weight in chips/salsa/queso.

Unknown said...

My 'special something' would have to be a chocolate covered rice kripsie treat paired with kahlua coffee. They go so well with the PMS.

Chrissy said...

My "specail thing" would be a double pack Reese's peanut butter chocolate cups...both of them!
Loved reading this!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I don't have to deal with this 'guilt" stuff. If I want a candy bar then I will eat a candy bar...or two...or three. Speaking of candy bars, have you sent your sister any Crunchies lately?

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Seriously, how do they not know to give this to you to put in your purse?! Hmm, my go to, chips! If I am in Canada, good ol' Dill Pickle. Yum!

LesleyRH said...

Oh, I hate when the put the candy bar in with the other groceries! Clearly that is meant as a snack on the way home from the grocery store! My fav is York Peppermint Patties...which is good...they aren't too fattening.

Nicole said...

hahaha... your posts crack me up!

Heather (The Menu Mama) said...

Reeses and a Diet Coke. Oh yeah...

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

I've totally been there! My special treat is usually a chai latte from Starbucks or ice cream if it's hot out :)

My sister is obsessed with Lions Bars and Smarties (not the American kind) which she had in Australia but has had trouble finding here so I'm sure she would have a similar reaction should she come upon some!

cakeologist said...

I tagged you. If you want to play along go here: http://notaboutcake.blogspot.com/2011/02/7-facts.html

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

chips, chips, chips, chips! I am not a big chocolate person, I love crunchy goodness!!

Hockey Wife said...

Starbucks ... all the way. I usually have one anyway but I especially need them on 'those' days. I also love me some Taco Bell!

Morgan said...

Target will ALWAYS ask you if you want your little sugary treasures outside of the bag...Frozen Yogurt is a serious guilty pleasure that could be spoonfed by the truckload.

Dr. McCoy said...

That's funny...cashiers always ask if I want to have my chocolate...maybe it's the stressed-out look on my face that says, "hide my chocolate at your own risk, bitch!"

Take All Chances - Missy said...

Good for you - that was some dedication ot chocolate right there ;-)

I too have had that moment of, "Oh no...what bag is the chocolate in." It like a cruel game of hide and seek!